After water damage has occurred within your home, the likelihood of mold and mildew developing skyrockets. While this smell is unpleasant, it also carries a number of health concerns with it. Mildew can cause or aggravate a number of respiratory diseases, such as asthma. Thankfully, reducing the mildew smell within your home, and removing and preventing mildew growth, is a fairly simple process that only requires some simple tools.
Removing mildew from the water-damaged areas is the first and most important thing that you should do. Throw out any items that have mold and mildew growth on them. For tiles, flooring, and other objects that cannot be easily removed, use a solution of one-part bleach with three-parts warm water on the affected area. Keep a window open to ventilate the area and wear gloves and safety glasses to protect yourself. The bleach and water mixture will kill any mold and mildew, and will sanitize the area, preventing future growth.
Even when you are not cleaning, it is essential to ventilate the area where mold and mildew has grown. Flowing fresh air inhibits the growth of mold and mildew, as it helps remove moisture from the air. Additionally, getting a breeze through a mildew-affected area can help remove the smell-- or at least reduce its intensity.
Installing a portable dehumidifier in the water-damaged area can help remove excess water from the air and surfaces in the room, which makes the room much less hospitable to mold and mildew growth. Furthermore, by filtering through the air in the room, a dehumidifier will gradually remove the smell and any spores in the air. Turning the dehumidifier up to its maximum can provide results very quickly – just remember to empty the water receptacle constantly to keep the dehumidifier working at peak efficiency.
Air filters and air purifiers can help reduce the smell of mold and mildew in a room, but tend to be expensive, which means that they aren't the ideal option for most homeowners, especially when dealing with water damage repairs. In a pinch, a few homemade absorbers can help reduce the smell in the room. Cat litter and baking soda work very well at absorbing the smell of mold and mildew, because they both absorb the water in the air. Simply pour cat litter or baking soda into a container, and leave it uncovered for an extended period of time in the room. For more information or assistance, contact a company like Complete Restoration Services.